Showing posts with label cricket australia. Show all posts
Showing posts with label cricket australia. Show all posts

Monday, June 8, 2009

Foreign teams bid for Symonds, says manager

SYDNEY: Wayward all-rounder Andrew Symonds has overseas offers to consider as he mulls over whether to continue playing in Australia, his manager said on Monday.

The international playing career of Symonds is in doubt after Cricket Australia sent him from the World Twenty20 tournament in England last week after another alcohol-related indiscretion.

His Queensland state wants him to continue playing for them in the domestic competitions, but he has received English and South African offers on top of his lucrative Indian Premier League contract, which has another year to run.

Symonds' manager, Matt Fearon, confirmed that the unpredictable all-rounder, who turns 34 on Tuesday, was keen to play on despite Cricket Australia indicating it will withdraw his 2009-10 contract.

Fearon said Symonds had "numerous" teams looking to contract him, including English counties and South African provinces.

"It's fair to say he's constantly sought after from many regions, both prior to this happening and currently," Fearon said on Monday.

"They're areas we haven't explored before because he's always been focused on playing international cricket.

"They're options for him if he chooses to do that."

Fearon said Symonds, who arrived home from England on Saturday, is seeking advice from family and friends as he weighs up his future.

Fearon said the most important aspect for Symonds was to play in an environment with "like-minded" people after feeling out of place in the current Australian team set-up.

Symonds was a success in the IPL, helping the Deccan Chargers to the Twenty20 title in South Africa last month under the stewardship of former Test teammates Darren Lehmann and Adam Gilchrist.

"At this stage his focus is to surround himself with people he enjoys and support him and have the right influence on him," Fearon said.

"As far as where the Australian team is headed and the culture within, that's changed significantly and he's no longer a good fit there.

"Queensland Cricket have been a big part of his career and are supporting him now and would be an avenue for him as well."

http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Foreign-teams-bid-for-Symonds-says-manager/articleshow/4631392.cms

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cricket Australia unveils schedule for 2009-10

MELBOURNE: Australia will play six Tests, 10 ODIs and three Twenty20 internationals on home soil against West Indies and Pakistan as per the 2009-10 International Program announced by the Cricket Australia on Wednesday.

The 2009-10 schedule again sees two separate five-match, head-to-head Commonwealth Bank Series against the West Indies in January followed by a series against Pakistan in February.

There will be another three KFC Twenty20 Internationals this summer, one against Pakistan and two against the West Indies in February.

Australia will play Pakistan on home soil for the first time in a Test series since 2004-05, when they won 3-0.

The Aussies will start on November 26 in Brisbane against the West Indies, with the subsequent matches in Adelaide (December 4-8) and Perth (December 16-20).

The Test series against Pakistan will start from December 26 with the traditional Boxing Day Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, followed by the second Test in Sydney (January 3-7) and the third at Hobart (January 14-18).

"The last time Australia played Pakistan in Hobart it was a thrilling encounter that saw a magnificent partnership between Justin Langer and Adam Gilchrist steer Australia to victory on the final day. It was a fine example of Test cricket," Cricket Australia chief executive officer James Sutherland said.

"In addition to the 3 Mobile Test, Hobart will also host their first KFC Twenty20 International against the West Indies in February.

"Melbourne hosts back-to-back international matches in early February. A KFC Twenty20 International against Pakistan is followed by the opening Commonwealth Bank Series match against the West Indies two days later," he added.

After the Tests, Australia will play Pakistan and West Indies in back-to-back five-math ODI series starting January 22.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Clarke chickened out: Modi

Lalit Modi, chairman and commissioner of the IPL, on Thursday said that Michael Clarke pulled out of the auction as he felt that he would remain unsold due to his high price.

"Michael Clarke undoubtedly is one of the best players in the world," Modi said. "But I think he gauged his price wrong. I've been talking to his agents and telling them that he should lower his price. But for some reason he didn't want to lower his price," Modi told news channel CNN-IBN

"The reality is, his agent told me last night that he didn't feel anybody would bid for him," he added. "He doesn't want to be unsold. Players need to be realistic in trying to gauge their pricing. Otherwise, the franchises are going to be tough on them and reject them."

Modi however said that Clarke will not be penalized for pulling out at the last minute.

"Unfortunately, he pulled out earlier and there was a penalty in the first year but this year we have waived off the penalty and I don't think we will be able to move forward like this.

"We will discuss the matter in our governing council and have the answer by this evening," he said.

Modi dismissed any suggestion that the player's absence will hurt the IPL. "We don't find it difficult," Modi said.

"We just have to put more manpower in, spend more money. And we are ready to do that. As I said earlier we are recession-proof, we have the money to go out and do it.

The IPL auction will take place on February 6.

© Cricbuzz


Michael Clarke pulls out of IPL

Michael Clarke, the Australian vice-captain, has pulled out of this year's Indian Premier League citing a hectic international schedule as his reason. Michael Clarke's base price was set at USD 1 million, the second highest after Kevin Pietersen.

Australia are currently playing New Zealand in a 5-match ODI series following which they will head to South Africa for a 2-month long tour. With an ODI series against Pakistan before the Ashes, Australian players would only have a two-week window to participate in the tournament.

"Speaking with my management, my family, my fiancee and the hierarchy of the IPL and for me this year I won't be going to the IPL," Clarke said.

"There's probably a number of reasons but the most important thing for me is we've only got a couple of weeks off, we've got a really busy schedule and I just think for where I'm at with my body and that time at home it's valuable for me."

"I'd love to take part in it one day. It's just about finding the right time for me to be a part of it."

"There's obviously a lot of great things about the IPL and that's why I say I certainly want to be a part of it at some stage. Every player is in a different position as well but for me - mentally, physically where I am - I just think those two weeks at home will be great for me to come home and see family and friends."

Asked whether he was surprised that so many Australians were taking part in the IPL, Clarke said that the tournament had its positives and it was a matter of personal choice.

"I think it's a wonderful thing for cricket. It's definitely improved Twenty20 cricket, certainly played a part in improving one-day cricket and the lead-up to the Twenty20 World Championship is the IPL, so it's pretty good preparation."

"It doesn't surprise me so many guys are going there. It's just a personal choice at this stage."

Clarke joins teammate Mitchell Johnson and England paceman Stuart Broad, both of whom also opted out of the Twenty20 tournament, keeping in mind the hectic international commitments.

Clarke was not part of the first edition of the IPL either after he wished to spend time with his family and his fiancee's ailing father.

© Cricbuzz

Hughes, McGain, North make the cut

Australian selectors opted for youth over experience when they picked 20 year old NSW(New South Wales) opening batsman Phillip Hughes ahead of Phil Jaques for the touring party to South Africa. Victorian legspinner Bryce McGain also makes a comeback after undergoing a shoulder surgery after coming back home from the tour of India.

The only surprise was the selection of Western Australia's batting all-rounder Marcus North who was picked over Andrew Symonds.

Chairman of selectors, Andrew Hildtich, said he was excited by Hughes's potential.

"It is one of the most exciting things I have had the pleasure of doing since being a selector in naming Phillip Hughes in the Test touring squad," he said.

"Phillip has been given the fairly daunting task of filling the shoes of one of Australia's greatest batsmen Matthew Hayden.

"From the time of his century in the Sheffield Shield final last season and through this year, he has played extremely well and we are confident that he is someone with the potential to have a long international career."

Surprisingly only two specialist openers have been selected for the arduous tour which means Hughes will debut alongside his state captain, Simon Katich. Talking about Jaques Andrew Hildtich, said "Phil Jaques has not been selected in the squad. Phil has bravely come back from back surgery in an attempt to make himself available for the tour, but in the [selection panel's] view, he has simply not played enough cricket since surgery to force his way into the team."

The selection of both Hughes and McGain will present a delicious irony, in the sense that while Hughes at 20 will become Australia's youngest Test debutant since Craig McDermott played his first match as a teenager against the West Indies in December 1984, McGain at the ripe old age of 36 will become Australia's oldest Test debutant since Bob Holland in 1984.

With both Brett Lee and Stuart Clark ruled out with injuries, Mitchell Johnson will be the leader of one of the most inexperienced bowling attacks that Australia would have fielded in recent memory.

Andrew Hildtich though was confident about the squad when he said "There is probably no greater challenge in world cricket at present than playing South Africa away." "South Africa has an extremely strong side and will be extremely tough, particularly in home conditions. The tour represents an exciting challenge for the squad which contains a very good blend of experienced, proven international batsmen and some of our outstanding young talent.

"We have the utmost faith in the young group of Australian cricketers coming through. Whilst the next 12 months will undoubtedly be extremely testing and challenging, we are confident that the new breed of Australian cricketers will hold Australian cricket in a strong position moving forward."

Andrew McDonald keeps his place while Nathan Hauritz was preferred over Tasmanian offie Jason Krejza who took 12 wickets on his Test debut against India. The squad contains 5 batsmen, 1 keeper, 2 all rounders, 4 quickies and 2 spinners. The first Test of the three match series starts in Johannesburg from February 26.

Australia Test squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Phillip Hughes, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Andrew McDonald, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger, Bryce McGain, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North.

© Cricbuzz

Saturday, May 31, 2008

IPL not behind Hayden breakdown: CA

MELBOURNE: Underfire for allowing its key players in the Indian Premier League after an injured Matthew Hayden was forced to return from the tour of the West Indies, Cricket Australia on Friday refused to admit the Twenty20 show was a reason for flaring up of the opener's achilles tendon.

Defending CA's decision to permit its cricketers to play in the IPL, its spokesman Peter Young said the risks of releasing players to the IPL were the same as the once-traditional pilgrimage to England every winter.

"Matthew has had achilles tendinitis for quite a long while and people are used to him packing it with ice," Young said.

"If he had stayed home cooling his heels, the medicos say there is still a chance that he could still have had exactly the same outcome," he was quoted as saying by the 'Herald Sun' .

Hayden complained of the injury at the team's pre-tour camp in Brisbane earlier this month, but it's understood the problem is more the result of wear and tear than a sudden setback, reports the Herald Sun. But his serious achilles tendon - a long-time issue - flared while playing in the IPL, the report says.

"Clearly, the four matches he played for Chennai, scoring 189 runs at 63 off 131 balls, were enough to do some damage and effectively stop the champion opening batsman from fulfilling his contractual.

Source: http://ipl.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/IPL_not_behind_Hayden_breakdown_CA/articleshow/3086488.cms