Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's probably the toughest day of my career: Ganguly

Sourav Ganguly, who announced his return to the Indian Premier League with a gutsy unbeaten 32 in Pune Warriors' win over Deccan Chargers, said it was the toughest day of his career and he came into the match with zero-confidence.

The former India captain was the cynosure of all eyes on Tuesday as he scored a gutsy run-a-ball 32 not out laced with a six and three boundaries to help Warriors beat Chargers by six wickets at Rajiv Gandhi stadium at Uppal here.

"I said it's probably the toughest day of my career. I have not picked a cricket bat for five months. I came into this game with zero-confidence," said Ganguly after the match.

Ganguly carried forward the good work done by the openers Jesse Ryder (35) and Manish Pandey (49) as the veteran left-hander helped the Warriors chase down the modest target of 137 runs with 10 balls to spare by holding one end as three wickets fell on the other side.

"It feels good (to score some runs). I haven't played for a long time and needed some hits in the middle. It's about anticipating which I haven't done for a while," he added.

The 38-year-old experienced campaigner proved a point or two to those who ignored him during IPL auction in January in the match that generated interests among cricket fans in anticipation of his comeback in the lucrative Twenty20 league.

Ganguly said he was not ready for the game against Mumbai Indians on May 4 after Warriors roped him in as a replacement for injured Ashish Nehra.

"I wasn't ready for the game on May 4th against Mumbai. I missed the game against Mohali also as I wanted to be get ready."

No comments: